
Will the warning signs posted throughout their school and the internet etiquette songs second grade South Korean children sing alter their internet usage practices as adults? I actually feel that the songs and signs will definitely make a difference in future generations of net users. The signs and the songs illustrate the South Korean belief that the attitude towards the internet needs to change and by preaching this new, more conscientious attitude to young children at such an early age this attitude actually has the chance to change.
The internet grew and developed rapidly in ways that people could not have predicted or imagined. Unfortunately, before society at large decided that maybe our view of how and how much to use the internet had a hope of changing tragedy had to occur. Once people saw the intense internet addictions people had developed and the damage they were causing it was obvious change needed to be made. Instilling healthy net values in young children is one way to combat future internet addiction.
Though it was a bit creepy listening to those seven year olds sing about healthy internet practices every one of us sang similar songs to help us learn various values and educational principles at that young age. If anything the songs and signs illustrate education's ability to keep up with the times and make a positive impact in more ways than simply knowledge. Though the songs and signs are not totally solving internet addiction they reflect a widely held belief that our attitudes towards the appropriate amount of internet use need to change, and beginning to instill that attitude within young children is not a bad place to start.
The children singing when watching Digital Nation also struck me. It reminded me of D.A.R.E education classes that I had to take when I was a kid and I could not help but think of how when I younger, parents worried about experimentation with drugs and alcohol, now parents are worried about Internet addiction. Perhaps, the Internet is the new drug. But I agree with your point, it is defiantly a good idea to teach children safe and healthy methods of using the Internet.
ReplyDelete